is she about to croak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by team guava pastry, Aug 14, 2010.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    our buff cochin, top of the pecking order, is sitting under a raised platform and doesn't want to eat, drink or run around as usual. we're a bit concerned. it's hot out but not any hotter than any other day in miami. she's usually the first one at the back door we open it. today she is not even moving when we approach her. i've check for a clogged butt but everything is clear. she sounds like has a higher pitch than usual, but only when we force her to come out of hiding, otherwise you can't hear a peep out of her. i'm wondering if her days are coming to an end.... our other buff had the same symptons before she died. altough it only took a few hours for it to happen, with her.. they're only a little over a year old.
    any suggestions would be appreciated.. please. [​IMG]
    thnx!

2. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    oh!!! and this might be of some importance... when we tried to get her out from where she was she pooped watery STUFF.... i say stuff because it was transparent with some brown and white in it.. does that have any significance in all this?

3. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    UPDATE:

after reading many suggestions on other posts about sugar water i decided to go out there and give her some (except i used honey).
    she is still facing the wall, not panting, making any noise or anything else BUT behind her i found an EGG!!!!! does THIS mean anything?

i have to leave the house soon and i pray that i don't come home to a dead buff...
    still looking forward to any suggestions.

4. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I don't know - but I hope she is able to get past whatever is wrong!

5. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    she moved to a new spot before i left the house and now he's back into her raised cubbie hole, sitting facing the wall of the house.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Could she be eggbound?

7. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Well here's what happened today. She finally got up and started to walk around the yard a bit. When the sun was setting and the temp came down. She even ate a little bit and drank some water.

She also came running (not as fast as usual) when I called the chickens for some bread, and she ate a few and was the first one in the coop.

We will keep you posted.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Well I have no idea, she is out walking around the backyard again like nothing ever happened.

thanks for the iput.

TGP

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Sounds like she may ahve been egg bound and finally layed the egg and then recovered naturally. I am glad to hear that she is doing better.

10. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Couldn't she just be broody? My silkie never comes out of broodiness and always acts this way. Occasionally she comes out of the nest box but rarely. You should keep food/water nearby unless you want to break her of the broodiness, (this is what I do) take her out and don't let her back in that spot, she may pick another and you will have to keep doing this until she gives up. Feed her away from wherever she is trying to nest, but be careful and watch -some get so determined to be broody they starve or dehydrate themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by