is she almost broody?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americana-chick, Jan 9, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    She will sit o the nest everynight but doesnt lay an egg. she usually lays an egg during the day then sits on the at night. is she getting ready to brood? or is this just a silly chicken game that chickens like to play to get your hopes up? thanks!
    here are some pics. of her on the nest. she is over 9 or 10 months now and a porcelain d'uccle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Congrats Bri i do believe you have a broody hen!!! [​IMG] does she scream at you when you reach in the nest? or puff out like a turkey and cluck when she gets off the nest?

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    She doesnt scream at me. she is a very quite and nice bird. i have never watched her get off the nest but i do belive not to long ago i heard her clucking and freaking out and she came out of the coop. i sure hope she is at least getting ready! thanks!
    ~Bri

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sounds like chicken games to me !! She could just be sleeping in the nesting boxes (some chickens do this)

If she is laying eggs then she's not broody !!

What does she do all day ? Sit on the nest or walk around ??

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. Sounds like she's just returning to the nest to sleep. I had two hens and a rooster! I had to break of that habit.

6. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    well hopefully she well turn 'broody' for real soon! i could use some more chickies!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'd like to have about 6 more hens myself and would prefer they come from my current hens.
    So far not even a tiny sign of broodiness, although not too long ago I did have one hiss and snap at me when I tried to reach under her. I'm hoping she'll be the one to truly go broody in the spring.

8. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:I'd like to have about 6 more hens myself and would prefer they come from my current hens.
    So far not even a tiny sign of broodiness, although not too long ago I did have one hiss and snap at me when I tried to reach under her. I'm hoping she'll be the one to truly go broody in the spring.

ya my RIRs hiss and snap at me but i didnt know RIRs where nown to go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by