1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she an Ameraucana like the rest?-More pics-

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NaturalChick, Oct 6, 2008.

1. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    We were told she was an Ameraucana, but I can't say I have ever seen her "muffs" out.
    She is the hen in front, the other hen has her "muffs" out.

Any thoughts/question?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    EEs.. which are araucana crosses... maybe taking after the crossed side.

-Daniel

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    She's definatly part EE, but her face and head seem to have taken after the other parent.

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Some Ameraucana are born clean faced, which is not a desirable trait. It would make sense that some EEs would be as well. Your hens are adorable but not true Ameraucanas, rather Easter Eggers. Enjoy them!

5. NaturalChick

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    Here are more pics:
    The first is the "odd ball" hen.

The second is of two of the (true?) Ameraucanas with their muffs out.

Are the "muffs" and the blue/slate leg color versus the no muffs and green leg color the only way to be sure of the true Ameraucana breed?

6. NaturalChick

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    opps, here they are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see any more pics, but color of the legs and the feathers are clues. Check out this page at the Ameraucana Breeder's Club.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Go look at all the colors. Sometimes EEs have green or slate legs, or even other colors. Ameraucanas should have slate or white or (I think black is acceptable for black)

Hatcherys confuse people by selling the mixed breeds as Ameraucanas which is misleading. I have both EEs and Ameraucanas. I love them both, but there is no breed standard for EEs. They have wonderful gorgeous colors that many folks love, including me.[​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think her comb is wrong too, not just the missing muffs. She can probably still produce muffed, pea combed birds if the roo is the right type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by