1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is she an EE? breed and gender question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tansyflower, Oct 28, 2013.

1. tansyflower

tansyflower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so my ten week old has the puffy cheeks of an EE (i think anyway...novice here!) but i am not sure about her coloring. i cant seem to find a pic of an EE that looks like her. and is this really a her? the comb is pink and she has almost no waddle. A friend of mine thought she might be an americana but i have no clue how one differentiate an EE from an americana so what do you think? any clue on breed and gender?

2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

no ide, sorry i cant help with breed. the gender looks like you are correct, it looks like a female.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she looks like a pretty little EE. EEs can be any color; there won't be two birds that look exactly alike. Since the red coloring is evenly distributed, and the feathering is pullety, I think she's a pullet.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's an Easter Egger. I've never seen an Easter Egger that looked like her, either. She's very pretty!

5. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    thank you very much! i was told she was an americana but they were not sure (it was a mixed group) and i know EE's get mixed up with americanas all the time. i am excited to see what color eggs she will lay :)

6. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    thank you for the confirmation. isnt her coloring beautiful?! and her coloring hasnt changed from 4 weeks old, the colors have only gotten brighter. she is the only EE in my flock and such a sweet little thing :)

7. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    i am glad she is really a girl lol :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm going to be the voice of dissention--I don't think it's an Easter egger. The body shape and wing set really make me think of some of those puffy cheeked bantams-- d'Anvers? Are they the clean legged ones with muffs? So not a bantam person lol. But the sweep of those wings sure look like them to me. Plus, it looks small--maybe not full bantam? but I'm guessing that's a bantam cochin hen next to her--if it were a full sized bird it'd be bigger than that hen. Hope some of the bantam folks come take a look. It's a mix, no doubt.

Also--not so sure it's a hen. I think I see some saddle feathers starting. The color is hard to say--I agree the pattern over the entire body makes me think female, but how flashy it is and the thick legs have me leaning roo. Maybe update us in 3-4 weeks?

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

That does look like an Easter Egger to me--I'm going on beard/muffs, slate legs, and pea comb. And I HAVE seen that coloring on EEs before... in some cases they are female, but in this particular case that is 100% a COCKEREL. There are pointed hackles already, and I definitely see pointed saddle feathers coming in. Sorry [​IMG] He does kind of look like a bantam Easter Egger. Not sure why the comb is taking so long to develop, but believe me, it will be an obvious young rooster in a few weeks.

10. tansyflower

Oct 23, 2013
    NOOOO! really?!? i am so bummed. i have no idea what a saddle feather or hackles are (off to google that!) because i am really new at this. man i really wanted this chicken to be a girl :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by