Is she brain damaged or just super sweet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Jun 2, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lilith is my buff brahma pullet that got crushed in a pile-up a few weeks back. She's growing normally, eats, drinks, and when free-ranging she behaves as all the other chicks do. But I have never heard her make a sound, any sound and while she will forage with the rest, she's also quite content to just sit on my lap and watch. She doesn't even cluck when I pick her up as the others do. It's impossible for me to remember whether she made noise before the accident. So I've just been wondering. Is she just super mellow or brain damaged?

2. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    She just sounds mellow to me, a nice lap chicken.[​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a wonderful baby! Congratulations! As long as she is acting normal, and doing normal "chicken things" I wouldn't worry and consider yourself lucky! Plus, you would think that if there was something "wrong" with her, the other chickens would have picked up on it and started attacking her.

S

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks for the opinions y'all. I just worry because of the accident. She was really limp and dead looking in my hands when I found her. Took her way longer to recover than the other chick that got crushed along with her.
    Whoever said brahmas are quiet, never met (the rest of) my bunch. Maybe that's why she stands out so much.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You know, years ago I had a bantam roo that got beaten up pretty bad, laying behind the food bin, couldn't walk. I nursed him back to health, and it was over a month before I caught him out of his box. When I found him out of his "hospital bed" he flew back in really quick, flopped over on his side with his head rolling around and crying. [​IMG] I think sometimes they put on a little bit, and we don't give them enough credit for being a little "manipulative" sometimes. He ended up being the sweetest roo ever and I think the extra attention that he got for being "injured" really made him super sweet and personable.

I am just wondering if she was really hurt as bad as you thought, or if she was smart enough to realize that if she acted weak, you'd baby her! LOL! Whichever it was, you've got a winner!

S

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I believe you just described a perfectly content lap chicken. [​IMG]

7. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    My polish never makes a fuss to be picked up, and sometimes comes to me to be picked up. She loves to hang out on or near me when ever she can. I think you just have a nice chicken who knows who feeds her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by