is she brooding!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jason180sx, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    i have a cuckoo pekin brooding at the min in a other coop and she was the only pekin i had laying but i have a other pekin that layed her first eggs last night and i went into the coop and there she was in the nesting box and i thought she was laying a egg but about 2 hours a go i went in and i put my hand in and she pecked me and i have a brooding hen and she pecks me because she is brooding but is the other hen brooding
    thanks

2. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    anyone

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That run-on sentence is hard to understand, but I think I got it. Some punctuation would help.

Just because a pullet that is just starting to lay spends time on a nest and pecks at you if you put your hand in there does not mean she is broody. I've had hens that are not broody peck at me if I stick my hand in the nest while they are laying an egg. And I've had hens spend a lot of time on the nest when laying an egg. If she has just started laying, she may just be confused.

They are living animals. It is possible she is broody, even if she just started laying. But I always wait until they have spent two consecutive nights on the nest instead of roosting in their normal spot before I consider one really broody. I have had several that spend a lot of time on the nest, fluff up, make the broody sounds, and give every indication that they are broody, but they are just fooling with me. They are not serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by