1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is she broody? Or am I paranoid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akd1991, Jul 26, 2014.

1. akd1991

akd1991 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    Whiting, NJ
    I have only been getting gags for a week now and I am wondering if it's possible for a hen to get broody that quick. She is a Rhode Island Red. I have two nesting boxes, I put one Easter egg in each of them to teach them to lay in there.

Do hens sit a while before they lay? Also she's a little bit nippy when you go to pet her but she just might want to be left alone before she lays?[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome to BYC!
    If she doesn't get off the nest even at night then wait a couple days and is she still is sitting there then she is probably broody. If she's broody she will still get of her nest a little while to stretch her legs, eat, and drink. But she may not be broody, it is normal for some hens to sit there for ever before laying. It is also normal for some hens to growl and peck while laying. Hope you'll find out soon!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

It is perfectly normal for a hen to spend some time in the nest box before and after laying her egg. My hens could easily there for an hour or more some days, complaining bitterly when I bother them. Regarding broodiness, I've had a hen go broody 2 weeks after laying her first egg.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. akd1991

akd1991 Hatching

Jul 26, 2014
    Whiting, NJ
    Thank you everyone! I'm happy to have finally join a back yard chicken forum. She laid an egg and went on with her business.

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    good[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: