Is she broody?! What is broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callmeskipper, May 8, 2008.

1. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    I am very new to backyard chickens, so I am hoping someone can help me understand my chicken's behavior. (We love our girls very much, and most of all I want to make sure she isn't ill; she appears normal in all other ways.) We have 4 hens of different breeds, all under 1 yr of age, no roosters (we are not in a rural area), and they have been laying eggs for about 6 mos. Our Buff Orpington has been sitting on eggs (her own and those of other hens). Is this because we are leaving them in the nesting boxes too long? Or is this a normal behaviour (fertile eggs or not)? Please advise, and thanks in advance.

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Does she sit on the nest all day and night and only get up once a day to eat/drink and poop a giant poop? When she is up does she walk around clucking and screeching with her feathers fluffed up? If so, she sounds like a broody! If she is just sitting all day when there are eggs in the nest she may be thinking of going broody. They don't know if the eggs are fertile or not. Some hens go broody, some don't. Some breeds are much more likely to go broody than others, Buff Orpingtons are one of the more broody breeds.

3. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Best broody description ive heard. lol

btw "poop a giant poop" AHAHAHAHAH:D[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Heheheehhe poop a giant poop,,,, I just went out and checked Charlotte's hidden treasures and I thought she laid another really ugly egg,,, except it was bigger than her eggs and hard as a rock and funky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by