Is she broody when i have to pluck eggs out from under her????????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, Nov 12, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Like it says, for a few days now, when i go out to get my breakfast, my Barred Rock pullet has been laying on about 2 to 3 eggs. She won't budge when i open the nest box to shew her away to get my eggs. I litterally have to lift her off the nest. I have a small coop and run with 4 other pullet's and tho she has not been sitting recently, the times she did really got me thinking....was she actually trying to go broody?? None of my other pullet's have been caught sitting...Baily the barred rock is my only girl i have caught. I have no rooster's at all..."except for a banty Mille Fleur rooster who thinks he can breed my standard girls through the fenced in run when i let my banties out to free range [​IMG]"

So, what do you guy's think?? She's awful young...i would say 30 weeks old and i grabbed her out of my local rural king baby chick bin when i got her and the others.

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    They can go broody quite young. My first broody was 24 weeks when she had her first hormonal fling.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    One of my 30 week buckeye pullets is definately broody.

4. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I would say YES

5. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    a house in town has a barred rock rooster that i see from time to time in their front yard. Think i should randomly go up and ask them if i could "rent" their rooster for my hen and split the babies when they hatch?? lol...but really..think i should?

6. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If I didn't have a rooster and a neighbor did (especially a good one), that's what I would do. But if your neighbor seems put off by the idea (disease control or whatever), be prepared to shrug it off.

7. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:well quality or no...i would just be thrilled to see little babies hatch our from under my broody hen. I would be prepaired to shrug it off, it's worth a shot. I would keep him for like 3 days. then return him. They live about 1/8th of a mile away from my home...lol.

8. _sonshine_

_sonshine_ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    If she is sleeping on the nest she is broody! I have a 31 week old BR broody right now! My first broody BR went broody at 26 weeks....If your neighbor will not let you rent the roo ask for some fertile eggs and slip them under your broody GL

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    1/8 of a mile isn't much... will your hens follow you?? maybe you couls all tale a leisurley stroll down the street.....

reminds me of a semi-sick dog joke... if you're easily offended quit reading.. lol...

girl wants to take her dog for a walk... she asks mom.. mom says "i don't think it's a good idea right now" dog is in heat.. can't explain that to a 4 yr old.. girl is persistant.. mom says go ask dad about it.... dad says " i don't think it's a good idea" girl is stil persistant.. dad thinks for a few minutes.. gets a rag soaked with gasoline and wipes the dogs butt hoping to mask the smell.... girl takes the dog off for a walk.. comes home a few minutes later and tells dad.... "she ran out of gas half way down the block, but the neighbors dog is pushing her home"

lol.. sorry.... random thoughts that pop into my head at 1 am.. i should go to bed.. who let me stay up this late???

you have anyone close that can get you some fertile eggs?? if all mine weren't spoken for i'd mail you some.. i wont have any unspoken for for about a week and a half...

10. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:lol good story! the only girl i know of who has roosters and hen's is the one who lives just down the street from me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by