1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is she broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Savanna’s chickens, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    My 3 yr old hen is staying in the best box sitting on eggs I would think she’s broody but when I put my haven in she didn’t try to attack me. I’ve never had a chicken go broody she and her flock mates were my first chickens. And if she is broody she’s been doing it for a day or two should I try to put fertilized eggs under her and hatch them out? I don’t know if I should as I have no experience hatching chicks at all

2. boz

boz Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Teachey NC
    if she been there all day and night and the next day it is ok to put an egg next to her wing or that is what I do from time to time for my hen growl at me went I put my hand in the nest box. anyhow she pull the egg under her so you don't have to worrie about getting the egg right under her

3. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I’m not sure she’s broody yesterday or maybe the day before she seemed to always be laying an egg when we let them out in the morning and put them in at night but I think it’s strange that when I put my hand in she doesn’t try to attack it she is the nicer one of the flock but none of them really trust me

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some birds like to 'lounge' in the nest before and/or after laying.
    Some birds pop into nest, lay their egg, and pop back out...
    ...the loungers can stay in there for a couple hours.

Broody hens have several behaviors that can happen.
    Hissing, growling, biting, flaring hackles, soft repetitive clucking, 'flat as a pancake posture' even when removed from nest, are a few.

Is she staying on nest most the day and all night,
    and exhibiting any of those behaviors listed above?
    If not, she's not broody.

5. KentuckyJanet

KentuckyJanet Chirping

Jul 2, 2017
    I have a broody hen and she doesn’t growl, hiss or bite when I come near her or remove the eggs to candle them. It all must depend on their personality.

6. Summerbirds

Summerbirds Songster

Jan 27, 2018
    yeah definitely I have 4 broody hens that where hand raised by me and they never bit me when broody.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mine don't either, once they get used to me checking things out.
    Most are pretty ferocious at first.

8. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I haven’t seen her outside ( we let them free range during the day) and she has been in there for a long time I heard her make a weird noise aT other hens but I’ve pet her to see what she’s to and no reaction since I’ve never once seen her out of true nest box and it’s been in the mid 90s I got some grass wet and she actually drank some of the water off so maybe aggressive to other hens but not me

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she in the nest at night too, have you checked after dark? I guess I assume that everyone checks their birds at night when locking up, going into the coop and doing a head count.

You should pull her out of the nest during the day, put her on the ground, see what she does. Give her a good physical exam, feeling her belly, parting feathers and looking for bugs. She may be sick rather than broody.
    Take her to the waterer and dip her beak, to try to get her to drink on her own.
    It can be risky to let a hen set in high heat.

Savanna’s chickens and boz like this.
  10. boz

boz Chirping

Jun 5, 2018
    Teachey NC
    because of the heat I put a water jar in with my brooder she has hatch 4 chicks and I am guess she still has a egg or 2 to hatch. that is because when I saw her there was another hen in the same box laying eggs too and I put one or 2 under as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: