Is she broody?

boilermaker56

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
Hello!
I have a hen that I believe is thinking about going broody but she has me confused! She has not laid an egg in 3 days and I have found her in the nest box the past two days. She is not bothered when I approach nor does she fuss at me when I remove her from the box. I tried chicken jail and it seemed to work - I let her out at night and she went right up to roost with her flock mates. This morning when I let the girls out she was still on her roost and came out into the run with the others. Upon my return home this evening she was back in the nest box. Again, she didn’t fuss when I removed her and let her free range. I restricted access to her preferred box while she was out. She stayed out for about an hour. I just went out to check on her and she was back in the coop but now on the roosting bars. Is she broody or is something else going on? Should I try chicken jail for a longer period of time? Thanks!!

She’s plucked just a few, I noticed them in the nest but she hasn’t plucked enough to notice just by looking at her. Do you think I should try the crate option for another day or so? I worry if I let her continue on the nest during the day that she will go full broody.

You would probably have to keep her in the crate for a couple of days. Every time you take her out she gets to reset her broodiness. You have to keep her in the crate continuously till she is broken of brooding.
x2, just keep her locked up for 2-3 days, don't let her out at all unless the breaker is not in a safe spot for overnight stays (in that case, immediately lock her up again as soon as you're up in the morning).

Back
Top Bottom