Is She Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irf1983, Oct 19, 2009.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    I think my white leghorn hen is broody. Yesterday around 4 she was making a racket that I usually associate with an egg being laid. I went and checked and she was strutting around the run, so I thought nothing of it. She must have gone and sat on the eggs shortly after, because she wasn't out in the yard, and was still in the box at 8pm. First I thought there may be something wrong, I moved her a little, and she just cooed at me, so I picked her up to make sure here wasn't a prolapse or anything, and it all seemed fine. I couldn't feel anything wrong. She was sitting on two eggs. Is she just broody or could it be something else?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Is she still sitting this morning?

Leghorns don't generally go broody. That is one of the reasons they are used in large scale egg operations. It is not in their nature. I'm not saying that I'm 100% sure she isn't broody, I'm just saying it isn't a natural thing to do for that breed. Are you sure she isn't egg bound?

3. acbear93

acbear93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Oostburg, Wisconsin
    I wouldnt rule it out though...I have a black sexlink that went broody, and set on the eggs until they hatched, and took care of her chicks for 5 weeks....black sexlinks are bred for egg production too, so it could be possible...just have to wait and see I guess...

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ditto.

My white leghorn had issue with trying to pass soft shell eggs a week ago. She would try to lay an egg for hours before she would pass a soft shell.

5. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    Sorry, I neglected to write in my post that after seeing nothing wrong I put her in the coop with the others. I am gone all day so I haven't seen her today. She was sitting on a white egg, and I only have one other white layer, so I assumed she had laid an egg and then sat on it. Thanks for your responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by