Is she broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, May 26, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have a young white silkie chick who today refused to give up any of the eggs? She does not bite me but makes alot of sounds when I go near her. Do they always take all the eggs not just her eggs??? New to this I hope.

This is mom
    [​IMG]

This is dad chicks will be interesting [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Sounds like it. And yes, she'll sit on anyone's eggs, not just hers. [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks there probally silly questions but I have never had a chicken do this before. My boys will be thrilled if she hatches any chicks.
    Now I have more silly questions how long if they are viable eggs does it take to hatch?? Also can they stay with her after they hatch if there in with other chickens??? SOrry so many questions [​IMG] Also she does not like the other chickens in the coop with her?

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Not silly questions. I've only had one broody so far, so I'm not an expert, but I'll help with what I can. It takes roughly 21 days for them to hatch, give or take a day or two or three, four [​IMG] (because she'll have been collecting eggs for a couple of days, probably, before she thinks she has enough). You can leave her in there with the others, I know some do, but I moved mine to another coop alone so that she couldn't keep collecting more eggs (if you do leave her there, you'll need to mark the eggs under her and check daily so that if someone lays an egg in there while she's up eating, you can remove it) and so that there wouldn't be other chickens bumping the eggs around when she got up to eat/drink/poop and risk cracking any of them. I've also heard that sometimes the other chickens will attack the babies and kill them, so that's another reason to separate them. Mine did fine with the move, settled back down on the eggs with no problems. I returned her and the babies to the others when she started laying again, which was about 60-65 days after they hatched if I remember right. They did get picked on a bit the first few days, I'm not going to lie, but they settled in fine.

If you don't have another coop to move her to, you could just block off part of your current coop so that the others can't get to where she is and give her her own food and water. You'll just have to make sure that whatever separation you put up is small enough that the chicks can't get into the other part because she wouldn't be able to go with them to protect them or lead them back.

Hope that helps some. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks so much she really seems anoyed when the other chickens come in the coop at all. As of now she only has 2 eggs under her. I do have another coop but it is in my basement that is very cool. In that indoor coop i have a 10 week old cochin that has not been a ble to go out into the coop for fear off age and size against year old hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by