Is she broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachelb, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rachelb

rachelb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    My Buff Orp gave up laying eggs in Oct when she started moulting. She still has not returned to laying and I am beginning to wonder why? The moult took some time, but she looks lovely now but is still spending a lot of time in her coop in the nesting box. She has not produced anything but seems quite happy staying up there for an hour or two at times, coming down for food and water and then going back up again. It's dry today but quite windy, which she does not like. Other days she comes out of the coop and sits quietly in the sun for the afternoon. Is this normal? Why isn't she laying? This is all a bit new to me, but great fun learning in the process. Rachel B

2. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Welcome to BYC.com! [​IMG]

Yup, she sounds broody to me! To be sure, try to touch her or remove her from the next box and if she growls and puffs up then gets back to the nest, she's indeed broody! It's indeed very fun to have learning experiences with chickens. I wish my hens were broody so I can experience it too........unfortunately she's a RIR!

One quick note: Be quite careful with broody hens. They can peck and scratch real good when they catch you messing with their eggs.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  3. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Whoops! Double-posted......many apologies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  4. rachelb

rachelb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks Silly Chick - what about the fact that she is not actually laying? Can I de-brood her by restricting her access to the nesting box? The problem then surely is that if she starts laying she will want to go in there and I am stoopping her!! All good fun!

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Rachelb!

Here's a post I made, awhile back, about how Skip and I "break" our broodies".

Well, it worked with the Cochin girls but the Silkies are relentless broodies...we'll get then "broke" and as soon as they lay that next egg...BAM!!!...they're broody again! [​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by