Is She Broody???

jmjoffrion

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Agua Dulce
Can a hen go broody without eggs? She lays regularly and I remove them regularly (just about the same time every day). Then all the sudden she refuses to get out of the nesting box. I take her out...she goes back in. I take her out again, she goes right back in. It's been seven days now with no egg and her eating has slowed way down...sounds like she's broody but can they go broody even if the eggs are taken out quickly?

yep sounds like she is broody. I have a broody light sussex here sitting on a empty nest, I've tryed breaking her by dipping her in cold water 3 times locking her out of the coop. So we have just gave up hopefully she will leave the nest on her own. She has been sitting for almost 3 weeks. I also have a broody silkie sitting on 8 eggs 5 are fertile.

Same here. Mine has been in that box for about 4 weeks.
I take her out she goes back in
barnie.gif
I lock her out of the coop every day for about 2 hrs so she will eat
and drink. Then open the door and you guessed it back in the box. I have renamed her chicken in a box. Or KFC for short.

She sat on a clutch for 27 days when I disposed of the eggs about three weeks ago. How often can she do this? My rooster is board.

I have red stars which are egg laying machines and do not get broody( supposed to not) well i had the fattest hen walking around like a turkey dancing at me when i go in the house. I started to see she was sleeping on the nest at night when she had been roosting. i started taking the eggs and she would cry or growl at me AHHHH! new to me! Sooo i just let her set, i even put eggs from my fav girls under her and she took them and was happy to have them. in about 9 day we will see! I hear i need to move her from the house to protect her and the babies?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom