is she Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by youngchooklover, Feb 24, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    I have a Silkie hen. Her name is Jewel.
    We have been trying to get one of our chickens broody. It feels like forever.
    We always say "Mum she's broody!" But she is not.

Two days ago I noticed her sitting on eggs. She sat on them for a bit after she laid her egg, for maybe an hour. She got off and wouldn't get back on. When she was on the perch getting ready to sleep I grabbed her and put her into a smaller coop away from the others. She sat on them that night and in the morning she sat on them for a bit and then got off for an half an hour break. Then got back on. All through that day she took long breaks. But this morning she was on them and refused to get off. I swapped some eggs around and she still refused to get off the eggs. She is still on them now. She takes breaks to eat and drink.

I look at her and she looks bored. She is quiet. Is that normal? Do you think she is properly clucky?

I don't want to go telling everyone she is clucky if she is not.

Thanks.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, youngchooklover, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! She sounds broody to me. I think sometimes hens get a little whacky when they go broody. I've had them do just what you are describing. For more advice and opinions you might post in the following thread. Good luck and have fun.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

5. 1muttsfan