1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is she broody?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VannahRAe, Dec 8, 2013.

1. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    I went out this morning & found a hen in the cat house. She pecked and started cawing when I put my hand near her. She wouldnt get out no matter what. I finally got the egg out from under her and it was cold. So she wasnt doing a very good job? We took the top off the box and took her out because she has 4 boxes to choose from in the coop lol. So is she broody or fixing to go broody??? I don't want a broody hen in the middle of december even if the eggs hatch the chicks will probably end up dying from the cold :'(

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might be thinking of going broody, or she could have just been laying an egg. Often times, my birds will growl and peck when they're laying eggs, though not as much as when they are broody. The egg may have been cold because she just got on the nest.

If you don't want her to hatch the eggs, just take the eggs away from her every day. This often times will discourage a bird from going broody. If she persists, you can try putting her in a wire cage with no nest boxes. This "broody cage" will help get rid of her broodiness. Many people have success with it, though it hasn't always worked for me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually people wait at least 24 hours to see if they are broody. They should stay on the nest all the time, except for a short break once a day to eat, etc., and not sleep on the roost. But plenty of broodies hatch and raise chicks in the winter, without any additional care other than changing any layer feed to chick starter, or another feed without added calcium.

4. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    I've waited all year for her to go broody and of course if she does go broody she's picking the worst time of year! LOL. Fingers crossed she waits til spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by