Is she close to kidding? **Update with pics!**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jan 11, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The previous owner told us that Bella would probably kid sometime between mid-Dec and mid-Feb (big window, I know). She has been making her udder for about a month now and her ligaments have been getting softer the last few days... at least I think that's what I have been feeling, lol. Thanks for any opinions! Here are some pictures I took today:

From the top:
    [​IMG]

From the back:
    [​IMG]

Walking away from the annoying lady with the camera:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    She sure looks preg doesnt she!! I wouldnt say she is SUPER close. This is just my opinion though and those girls can surprise you sometimes. If she lets you touch her, grab the little section right above her tailbone, the two indentations will feel really squishy and strechy when she is getting close. Also her milk bag will swell up really big and feel hot to the touch and look kinda shiny. She will also has some slimy goo come out of her behind that looks alot like snot. I would start watching for those things. Good Luck, Has she ever kidded before? She is beautiful!!

***just re read the top of your post.........DUH. You already know about the ligaments (i am a dork)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    From the pics shes looks pretty darn close to me.

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    She looks posty to me but I could be wrong. As I have been learning and reading like crazy within the last 3 days. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    She looks almost identical to mine in terms of size and rear view [​IMG] Mine is either due today or 29th Jan, but hasn't shown any signs so far. She catches me out every time I go and check on her! She'll be laying down breathing heavily, flapping her tail, and then just gets up and eats more hay [​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the opinions! This will be the first time we have had babies of any kind born in our family (other than my children, lol). I can't wait, but at the same time, I am nervous something is going to go wrong and I need more time to learn what to do. I'll make sure to post baby pictures when it happens!

Edited to add: This will be her second kidding, she had twins with the first (we have the doe from that set of twins).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:All I can say is read read read as much as you can and of coarse look at tons of pictures and ask as many questions as you want no matters how dumb you think they sound or how dumb you may feel. There is never a stupid question [​IMG]

8. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    She's still carrying kinda high and her tail doesn't looke loose. I'd say you have a whle longer. Watch for that udder to become REALLY tight and get bigger really fast...then you are in wait mode. If you can get a pic from the side it would help

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They're here! She had three babies this morning! Two bucklings and a doeling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Aww.. how cute [​IMG] Congratulations on your new additions [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by