1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she close to laying or should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FreedomFarm13, Dec 13, 2016.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hi! One of my SLWs seems to be getting really close to laying. Her "sister" started a little over 2 weeks ago. They're almost 9 months old. Today I decided to check her pubic bones (not 100% sure what they're called) to see if she was close. Her vent area is very swollen and I couldn't even feel the bones. Then I felt something pretty hard that felt like an egg really close to her vent opening. Would I be able to feel an egg in the "pipes" getting ready to come out? Is the swelling normal when they're about to lay? Or should I be concerned? Her comb is very red and has been plumping up the last few days to a week, although she hasn't squatted for me (perhaps she only does it for my roo). Do you think I felt an egg?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like she could be egg bound or about to prolapse.
    How doe she look/feel compared to her sister?
    Is she acting and/or walking funny?

3. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    No, she isn't. She seems fine. She is not as bulky as her sister, but that could just be because her sister has bulked up for laying...I checked again this afternoon and didn't feel the "egg" that I thought I felt before, and before you ask, yes, I scoured the entire yard for a hidden nest...nothing. IDK. Maybe she was just a little swollen? I felt her bones this time and they're BARELY two fingers apart. She's confusing the heck outta me. Her sister was so much easier. When her comb got all bright red and plump, she just started laying...silly girl. I took a pic of her comb today:
    Freya
    [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Have no worries, she will lay soon........If she is interested in the nest boxes? They love to practise before laying.....Just leave her...In a few weeks she will start...

Cheers!

5. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    I hope so. One of my blue ameraucanas looks like she's getting close, too. Her pelvic bones are definitely more than two fingers apart and she seems to be bulking up. I can't wait for the blue eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by