Is she done being broody??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by furbabymum, Feb 11, 2013.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Our broody hen might be done sitting on eggs. She hatched none and it hasn't been a full 2 weeks of sitting yet by my calculations.

Why I think she's done sitting:

There are a lot more eggs in the nest now. Eggs I didn't put there. So someone is laying in that nest which means she's leaving it.

She did jump up to get breakfast this morning. Not sure if that's an indication or not but she's never gotten up for food before. It's been really cold though....

Think she's done?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Other hens adding eggs to a nest is never a good scenario for successful brooding. If she has gone beyond 21 days with no chicks, she should be encouraged to stop setting. This time of year especially it just takes too much out of a hen.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Broodies need to get up to eat and drink and have a quick dust bath, most do it daily. Some of my hens took up to 30 minutes "off" from sitting every day. It's not a sign that they're done, it's something they need to do. The don't eat and drink as much as non-broodies, but they still need food and water and they need to stretch their legs and wings now and then.

And I've noticed that my hens like laying in nest boxes with eggs in it, so while she was out having a snack and a drink the other hens probably kept her eggs warm and added a few more. What I would do in this scenario is candle her eggs, all of them, and give her the ones back that is showing development and discard the clear ones, which have been added later.

4. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Thanks. I'll do that. I've got her on my calendar for the 22nd to have hatching babies. Fingers crossed! It's so cold though......

5. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    If you're nest boxes are wooden try putting a door with latch on it next time so they don't do that.
    I would also mark the eggs so that when she does get out for a break you can check them and take the ones that are not marked out of there.
    I let my girls out of the nest box in the morning to poo ,eat,and drink.
    Usually they take about 20 minutes each morning and if anybody else gets in the nest box I take them back out.

6. furbabymum

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    My nest boxes are what used to be plastic tree pots. She's in the exact middle one. They're all nailed on together so I can't just take it off either.

I'll mark them when I candle. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by