Is she egg bound

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Callender Girl, May 12, 2019.

1. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    I got home from an out-of-town trip this morning, and one of my runner hens was reluctant to stand up. She stayed laying down while she ate and drank, doesn't seem to be in any pain and is shaking her tail a lot.

She has done something like this once before and eventually laid an egg. Is that probably what's going on? It's been more than an hour, and I have her in the bath tub in warm water. What else should I do?

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

You could give her some calcium orally, that will help replenish the calcium she needs to pass the egg.

3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Calcium gluconate from Tractor supply! Right away and it will help her lay her egg!
    calgul.jpg

4. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Thanks both of you. I just called the local farm store (the only one open on Sunday) where I was told by someone who may or may not really know that they don't handle calcium gluconate. Forgive my dumbness here, but will the bagged calcium I use for the chickens work?

I gave the duck a couple of handfuls of that, and she ate it like she was starving. Good or not good?

5. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Thanks for the post, Texas Kiki, but my computer is giving me fits today (because when it rains, it pours) and I can't see anything from your post.

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :barnie

They are pictures of calcium supplements that you can pick up at your local grocery store...in the aisle where they sell vitamins.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  7. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Thanks for the post, Texas Kiki, but my computer is giving me fits today (because when it rains, it pours) and I can't see anything from your post. I can barely get anything posted, everything is really, really slow.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Try clearing your browser history and then rebooting your computer.

FluffTheDuck and sumi like this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

What is the name of the product?

FluffTheDuck likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: