Is she Eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    2 year old BLRW hen, eating a high quality layer feed

Has been acting odd for a few weeks - her breathing has seemed labored and she's constantly flexing her vent. Hasn't laid in months.

Today I noticed she has nestled into some leaves and was doing her usual heavy breathing, but it seemed more labored them normal. At dusk I noticed she hadn't gone into the coop with the other hens. When I lifted her up this was under her (see picture below). I felt her abdomen and didn't feel anything weird. Is she egg-bound? She seems pretty miserable. . . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That kind of looks like egg material without the shell, Hopefully someone who has been through this will be here to help soon.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Or maybe I should ask if she's an internal layer???

4. meli229

meli229 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Santa Rosa
    I have a similar problem, I hope someone can help!!!

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Sadly, we just found her (Bertha) dead in the coop. She was our first chicken, which makes it a little harder - she is also the first adult chicken we've had pass. But we are glad she lived a happy life here, although it was very short. I'm still thinking she was an internal layer - we'll be burying her tomorrow.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    So sorry to hear she didn't make it. I hope someone who knows something chimes in. It would be good if her death could mean you would know how to treat it if it ever happens again. So sorry.

7. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Last year, I am pretty sure one of my Barred Rocks was egg bound. I did all the things I could think of, warm baths, lubricating the vent, gentle pushing on the area, I couldn't feel anything when I would put a finger up her vent.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=381818

I thought she would die, since most the posts on here I have seen with egg bound hens, end in the death of the hen. But... she is still alive, looks great, but I am still waitng to see if she ever lays another egg.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Well I'm pretty sure she wasn't egg bound

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by