Is she FRIZZLING?! *3 Week Update Pg. 3!!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 28, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have a Langshan pullet that hatched from straight-feathered parents, with only straight-feathered parents in the line.

Thing is...her feathers are curling. Another member told me it was from a vitamin deficiency but couldn't recall which one. I looked in my manual and can't find anything about vitamins affecting curling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wish the camera did it justice. It is literally like the feathers on her shoulders and secondaries are curling forwards towards her head, and her primaries are curving in towards her body.

If it is a vitamin deficiency, why are none of the other chicks experiencing it?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    oh i wish i could help, cute chick though!!! i think frizzles that age have more frizzle feathers??? i have no idea though! someone will help though!

3. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would say she's frizzling...I had a few that looked like that when they first started frizzling...
    I dont remember where I read it, but there's a certain percent that will actually frizzle...from no frizzle, to super frizzle...

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    That's a natural frizzle all right. It does happen, it's how the whole thing started. It can actually just crop up. TADA! You have a frizzle, LOL, now you can frizzle to your hearts desire.

But warning, curly feathered babies are deeply and tragically addictive.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    there is a recessive modifier for frizzle.. maybe it's what you have.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The recessive modifier actually unfrizzles--essentially turning a hom frizzle into a phenotype closer to that of a het frizzle, or turning a het frizzle into the phenotype of not frizzled.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    excessive protein and heat/a lot of sunlight can curl feathers.

8. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:not mf... the other one, the one that just curl the tip of the feather, can't remember the name of it now.. maybe one of the gen buff can tell us.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That one I don;t know about...tell me more....

10. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I'll see if I can find it again, it was an old article from british poultry mags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by