Is she getting ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My buff was laying under the picnic table with the other ducks (it was nap time) and she started making a soft cluck noise. Then I noticed her butt was slowly bobbing up and down in a rhythmic manner. She did this for a couple of minutes and then noticed me watching so came over to beg for treats (bok choy is her favorite).

Does this sound like egg laying behavior? I know she has mated with my drake....repeatedly! (She practically throws herself at him. Little hussy! [​IMG])

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My duck has been doing the same thing... sort of like a 'buck buck' with head bobbing too.... I think it means they are thinking about eggs... my duck is 5 months and has been mating... with my goose... good luck getting eggs soon!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I hope that's what it means...LOL

I have never seen the khaki or the runner do this. Lana is a bit younger than those two as well. Lana is a seasonal layer, so I have no idea when the season starts for a buff since they can lay over 200 eggs a year. I also have no clue if she will get broody on me. A buff can go either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by