1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she going broody?(Update)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rammy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    She sounds like how mine acted before they committed to going broody but were "thinking" about it. If she stays there all day tomorrow I'd say she is broody. My broody BO pecks at your hand it you try to gather eggs and ruffles her feathers. When she commits I think you'll be able to tell for sure.

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I didn't realize my Broody Girl was full-fledged Broody until she didn't come out from under the house one morning. She'd go there in the evening and come out during the days, but then she just stayed there for 5 days before coming out!

She's never been the overly aggressive type of Broody, maybe because she's a pet. She did try to escape the coop today, hoping she could scare me away from the door by charging, but it didn't work. She is eating spinach and arugula well, and I gave her some plain yogurt to help with her intestinal health.

I have read that roost mites kill more chickens than anything else.

4. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    P.S. My Broody Girl first went broody at 8 months, and I've seen several posts from others whose chickens have first gone broody at that age. I have read that broodiness is at its peak in the hen's 2d summer, and this is my Broody Girl's 2d summer. However, her sister, same age is still an excellent layer and hasn't shown any broody tendencies.

I have read that broodiness is "contagious" in hens, but I don't know whether that is true or not?

5. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008

6. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Quote:. Ill second that! My first hen went broody two weeks ago. Now I have a broody duck and two of 10 broody hens.

7. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think you have a broody... Good luck and have fun!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. Rammy

Oct 20, 2008

10. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    When my hen went broody she kept stealing everyone esles eggs as they were layed. i bet you someone laid an egg and as soon as they left she went over and snatched it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by