1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is she going Broody?Witnessed her like NEVER before

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Jun 4, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I got a bantam who was only about 4 months old.She looks to be a mixed with some type of feather footed breed,and those dotted bantams,the lady had All types.She is sweet,she perches on you,may even fall asleep in your hands.

She started laying about a month and a half ago (maybe).I noticed about a week ago that she has gotten fairly aggressive in the nests,and is laying early in the morning and sits there for awhile.She beat the crap outta our ducks,threatned the dogs,and when I remove her from her nest,she sits there puffed up.No breast plucking yet,just an aggressive pullet.Is she broody?

2. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Could be. If she doesn't roost at night, but stays put, she is broody. My experiences with Bantams are they about hatched broody.

I had a LF Buff Orpington hatched in March that went broody October. I did not have any eggs needing hatched so broke her up. She went broody in April and just hatched off English Buff Orpingtons.
    Donna in Dandridge, TN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by