Is she going broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by artsyrobin, Nov 19, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have a BR pullet that refuses to leave her chosen nest site, a box in hubby's workshop- here is her pic... she growls and puffs up - is that girl going broody?

[​IMG]

2. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Definitely sounds like it to me. If you take her out, does she go rushing right back in?

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i'll go see.... in november??? sheesh!

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    man...she sure snarls!! yep- she is very attached to that box-

5. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had a broody hatch chicks in September. They were 8 weeks old yesterday and doing great! Until something ate one in our yard yesterday. Point is, I think if you let her raise chicks, they'll be fine! She'll keep them warm under her at night and bring them in when it gets too cold during the day.

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Well, i guess she changed her mind - she suddenly hopped up and off she went- weird- maybe she is practicing...[​IMG]

7. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    She is in the early stages of broody. Do you want her to be?

8. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I will be following this thread very closely.

AliceAnn, my best layer has become snarling beast woman, as well.
    I understand Australorps can tend to be broody, I just thought we might have a bit more time! She just turned 6 months old, and had been laying very reliably (6-7 eggs a week) for 8 weeks.

I have no hatching eggs to put beneath her, so I am saddened we are losing her egg a day to being broody, for nothing.
    I am against "breaking her", as in dunking in water or fighting her every stage of the way, but I would prefer she went back to laying eggs!

If left to her own devices, how long (best guestimate) will a hen remain broody?
    Thanks, in advance, as always.

Brightest Blessings

9. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Rachel'sFlock :

I will be following this thread very closely.

AliceAnn, my best layer has become snarling beast woman, as well.
    I understand Australorps can tend to be broody, I just thought we might have a bit more time! She just turned 6 months old, and had been laying very reliably (6-7 eggs a week) for 8 weeks.

I have no hatching eggs to put beneath her, so I am saddened we are losing her egg a day to being broody, for nothing.
    I am against "breaking her", as in dunking in water or fighting her every stage of the way, but I would prefer she went back to laying eggs!

If left to her own devices, how long (best guestimate) will a hen remain broody?
    Thanks, in advance, as always.

Brightest Blessings

I break mine, but not by dunking them or fighting with them. I put them in a wire bottom rabbit hutch with food/water but nothing that can be used for a nest. It usually only takes a few days, doesn't hurt the hen at all, isn't a big hassle AND she doesn't get run down from sitting on nothing and starts laying again.​

10. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

can the cage be in their same coop with the others, or will she have to be seperated entirely?
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by