is she going to be laying soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Feb 6, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well its been two months since i changed her food now to laying crumble um she is 10 months almost 11 hasnt layed and she started thing two days ago she stays in the house most of the time but goes out every day she has found a box in the living room stuffed with junk and things its under the piano so its sorta dark under there and now she has just been sitting in that boz for about 20 minutes she has done it about 9 times i have been counting is this a sign of laying and her breed is a maran im just confused about what she is doing

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Your supposed to keep them on grower until they start to lay..... Then switch to layer feed. I think she should be back on grower feed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    It sounds like she is nesting. Another thing she will do is "squat" when you come around her (she will just stop and squat down/spread her wings a bit)...that is a sure sign. Has she been doing that?

4. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    YEA SURE HAS lol this is so exciting ithought she just wanted to be picked up she as been doing that A LOT lately

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Has her comb turned red yet? Or is it still pink? If it's getting red, then yes, she'll probably be laying soonly! Sounds like she needs a nest box.

6. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    her comb and waddle are pretty red like the color of the smileys tounge [​IMG]

7. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    also is there something wrong because she hasnt pooped all day ive been watching her [​IMG]

8. gone chicken crazy

gone chicken crazy New Egg

Sep 30, 2008
    Bremerton, WA
    I got our first egg today! I wasn't expecting eggs for another month (they are only 19 weeks old) Do I switch the whole flock to "layer feed" now, or wait until they are all laying? Is it bad for non-layers to eat "layer"?
    I suppose I should start offering egg shells/oyster shell now?
    Wish I knew which of my girls layed this egg...too bad they can't talk!

9. chickenbottom

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i switched to layers about 2 months ago i would guestimate um i did the switch because people told me to lol and now i think she is going to lay today or tommorrow

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    She'll be fine. I've fed roos and youngsters layer feed when I couldn't separate everybody and feed different feed. Not one has ever dropped dead from it, though chicks really do need grower to get full size. Your hen was already 9 months old when you switched, so I wouldn't worry about it. She wasn't getting grower feed then, anyway, if I recall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by