1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she going to sit on her eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by senorita05, Feb 2, 2014.

1. senorita05

senorita05 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    I have a black sex link and have had her for about 6-7 months. She started laying eggs about 2 weeks ago fairly consistently and is still laying. However her laying is slowing down. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether black sex links actually sit on their eggs? I'm really hoping to hatch a few eggs without an incubator

2. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    she might going to hatch eggs....because spring is coming and mostly hens hatch eggs in this season.....but she will not hatch eggs until she gets broody....keep an eye on his behaviour and than tell us....:)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She might. BSL's are not very prone to broodiness from what I've heard, but there have been some cases, so it's possible. It depends on the hen really, some hens are more prone to broodiness than others. Continue collecting her eggs and keep an eye on her for signs of broodiness. If she refuses to leave the nest and shows the classic broody monster signs (growling and pecking when disturbed, puffed up, spread like a pancake on the nest, etc), slip a fake egg or golf ball under her and wait at least 2 days to make sure she's committed before giving her any hatching eggs. Make sure that she spends the night on the nest as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by