Is she gone for good?

rosawoodsii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
After keeping my guinea pair confined for 5 weeks, I finally let them out on Monday, cock first, and a few hours later, after he had returned to the barn several times, the hen. They did not come back to the barn, so far as I know, except for wandering around a bit, though they hung right around the barn and yard area. The hen had been laying eggs nearly the whole tiime they were confined, and had shown signs of actually nesting, i.e. laying her eggs in one spot instead of everywhere, so I was surprised that they didn't return to the stall. On day 4, I saw them in the evening strolling up the lane. The next morning, only the cock was around. I haven't seen the hen now for 3 days. The cock is quiet, ot frantic like he was when he was out and she was in, but I'm trying to figure out if that's because he knows where she is or because he's depressed. He doesn't even chase the chickens around anymore. I've searched everywhere for her and found nothing--not hen, not nest, not feathers. How does a cock typically act when he loses his mate? Is this wandering around quiety typical of a cock in mourning or a cock that knows where his mate is?

Another question: Someone offered me a guinea hen with a flipped foot, suggesting that maybe because she can't move very fast and typically just hangs close to the barn that maybe she'd be less likely to disappear. Thoughts?

Last edited:
What a bummer!

I'm thinking that she is likely gone forever. She'd have been back by now.

I wouldn't take another adult guinea, I'd get keets and confine them in the coop as a brooder for six weeks. Then they will consider it home and you won't have such trouble. You may, depending on the the male, be able to confine him with them...I've heard of people who have done OK with joining their older and very young guineas since guineas are such flock animals. I haven't done it myself with keets that aren't related to the original flock, so your mileage may vary.

A guinea hen with a flipped foot is probably Lunch.

I wish you good luck, sorry it hasn't worked well for you so far.

She's still not back, so I'm reconciled to her bing gone for good. The cock is going in every night with the chickens. He wants company, and he's keeping the rooster in line, for sure. I may try that with keets. I have some eggs in the incubator, so we'll see what happens when they hatch. Assuming they hatch. The incubator didn't seem to want to remain stable for about 3 days, going as high as 103.5 and as low as 96. I won't be surprised if nothing comes forth, but I'll candle them.

Quote:
That's just what I was thinking! You may see her show up in about 3 more weeks with keets in tow! If you CAN follow the cock to her, it would be a good idea to move her, though, to make sure a predator doesn't get her.

Back
Top Bottom