1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she gonna lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi everyone! So today I noticed my 27 week old Dark Brahma bantam has been I guess you could say hiding from the rest of the flock. Well, not exactly hiding but sitting alone and staying in the same place. Her comb and wattle are very red and have gotten bigger. She has been squatting..Do you think she might lay an egg? Thanks

2. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    It sounds like you might be getting eggs from her soon! She is old enough...one of mine, the first who laid, was about 21 weeks old, and she laid her first egg about a week after she first started squatting. If she's been hanging out in the nesting boxes too, that's a sign. Hope I helped. [​IMG]

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Thanks! :)

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Sounds VERY promising!!! [​IMG]

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Haha, good!!

6. miguelandemily

miguelandemily New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Lake Tapps, Wa
    Hi everyone. I am questioning whether or not my two RIR will ever lay. They are about 13 months old and don't even look like others did when they started laying. Is this normal? Do these types of birds take longer than normal? The rest of the flock is healthy and laying on a regular schedule. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I wouldn't know..However, I thought RIR were great layers..Are you feeding them layer feed?

8. miguelandemily

miguelandemily New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Lake Tapps, Wa
    Thank you for your quick reply. I am feeding them layer pellets and they free range with the rest of my girls in the afternoon. These are our first batch of chickens that we had collected over about 3 months starting in April. The other girls are very young and have started laying. Is it possible that they just won't lay? They are the biggest and they eat first but they are high, very high stress. They are sisters and aren't afraid to show it.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:My first thought was if they free range, could they have a hidden nest? Seriously! 13 months is a long time to be waiting for eggs.

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:My first thought was if they free range, could they have a hidden nest? Seriously! 13 months is a long time to be waiting for eggs.

I agree.

Check everywhere they like to hang out. Behind things, in things, everywhere! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by