is she is or is she ain't a hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JodyRB, Aug 3, 2014.

1. JodyRB

JodyRB New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Coupeville, WA
    This is my first experience with chickens, and I'm loving it. I got four chicks, one of which is a speckled Sussex. They're now just over 4 months old, and I've begun to wonder about her (him?). She's always been the most assertive, and now her tail feathers look more like a rooster's, and she has a small nubbin on each leg where spurs would be. The feathers on her back look more like a rooster's feathers, too. She has also been crowing, or something like it. I'm not sure now whether I've got a cockerel or just a really [​IMG]

butch pullet. Any help out there?

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Its Boy look at his feathering, tail rump and pointy saddle feathers. And if he is crowing... Yes you have a Boy

3. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    I know you are joking, right? A rooster doesn't lay eggs just as a hen doesn't crow. A young male or "cockerel" will begin crowing and sound like a sick teenage boy trying to sing.[​IMG] You have a beautiful cockerel there... but I think you already knew that.[​IMG]

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    Oh, By the way...[​IMG]Welcome to BYC, from the great state of Georgia!!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You have a pretty cockerel.

6. JodyRB

JodyRB New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Coupeville, WA
    Thanks, everyone. I did have my suspicions, but I hadn't been able to find info on the developmental schedule for cockerels. Well, that's why I got four chicks, because I really only need three for egg production. He'll have to get a new name, though! Since they spend a large portion of their time free ranging on my 5 acres, having a rooster to protect them will be a good thing, and he does have a nice personality. He even sits on my lap and lets me preen his neck feathers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by