Is she just "challenged"?

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I have 10 week old Orpingtons, 2 buff 2 lavender. I have had them for about 4 1/2 weeks. Never had chickens before.
One of the lavenders refuses to climb or decend the ramp to the henhouse. I have watched, she is the last lo leave the house in the morning, looking afraid to step off the 3 inch high roost, never roosts the foot high, pausing at the pop door, going back in, looking again, over and over. If I don't help her down she takes very wobbly steps and sort of jumps/falls from the first couple of inches of the top of the ramp. Today she went about 5 inches down, turned around to go back up and in, but totally lost her balance with one foot in the air and fell off. She doesn't appear to be injured. She NEVER EVER gets on the ramp to go up. I placed a chunk of log underneath the bottom of the ramp to reduce the angle a bit. No go.
She eats, drinks, poops, and walks normally (as far as I can tell) once on the ground. She has come up to me and lets me pet and pick her up from day one, so if this is her permenant condition I don't mind, she's become a favorite. I just need to know what's up. She's always been this way. Any thoughts are appriciated.

Hi @Cryss :frow

Do you have any photos of her or a video of her actions?

It's possible that she is young and just very unsure of herself about going down the ramp and roosting higher up.

Take a look at her eyes - compare them to the other girls - do you see anything wrong with them - odd shaped pupil, discolorations, etc. She may have some sight issues, it's just hard to know.

Also if you have any photos of your coop, ramp or roosting areas you would like to share, we would be happy to take a look and make any suggestions if need be.

She sound like a sweetheart for sure - Orpingtons are one of my favorite breeds, they are such lovely girls.

Would be great to see a picture of the ramp. Maybe there's something about it that is not chicken friendly?

Also have you checked her undersides of her feet for cuts or sores?

One of the first things I did 4 weeks ago was check her feet. They looked normal so I hoped it was just a shy or young chicken issue. I'll have a good look at her eyes later today and see if I can get a video in the morning as thats the time she looks wonkey coming out of the house.

I'd say just by watching her you can tell, they don't really make eye charts for chickens:) My eyesight is pretty bad and your little hen sounds alot like me when i don't have my glasses and even with my glasses on the distance judging. She's probably one that's just going to need a little extra care .
I have to say I have wondered if it was her eyesight but have no idea how to tell.

Back
Top Bottom