Is she laying? or is it the early stages of broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starrmar006, Mar 10, 2017.

1. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    My white leg horn is in the brooder box every time and I am have not getting eggs from here, is she laying? or is it the early stages of broodiness? [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There's broodiness and there's laziness. And there's sometimes a situation where an older layer is having a difficult time producing an egg. How to tell the difference?

A broody transmits her broodiness. Her behavior changes leading up to wanting to plant herself on a nest for the duration. You'll start hearing a feint "popping" noise from her while she acts increasingly fussy and restless, often annoying the other chickens. She will be laying regularly up until she hits the nest for good.

A lazy hen will seek refuge on the nest after she lays an egg, not wanting to relinquish a cozy resting spot away from the madding crowd. She will reluctantly get off the nest if you prod her, and she likely will not come back. A broody will, like a rubber band is attached from her to the nest. Also, a hen who is being mercilessly bullied will often hide out in a nest box to avoid her tormentor.

A hen who is having trouble passing an egg (eggbound) will spend day after day, maybe a couple hours at a time, on a nest without producing an egg. She usually gives up on her own and leaves, though.

Watch your girl. See which of these fits best with her behavior.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is she?
    Has she ever laid?
    Is it spring or fall where you live?

By 'brooder box' I assume you mean the nest(s) where all your other birds lay their eggs?

I have some that like to lounge long in the nests....they are not broody.

Is it possible she is hiding from being picked on?
    Stress from that could keep her from laying.

4. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    She is only a year now and she has layed eggs before and is is turning spring over here, and she is a fast chicken and her sister is the one getting picked on not her.

5. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    what does egg bound mean if she is egg bound will we need to get the egg out of her through surgery? or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by