1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she mad at me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crawfordmama, Sep 6, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    This evening I was able to hold Lorelai, one of my BSL pullets, for the first time! They're new to me, and were never handled by the previous owner, so they're not fans of human interaction. While I was holding her, Darla, another BSL from the group, walked over to me making a new sound. It was like a long, drawn out bok. It sort of sounded like a growl. It seemed like she was looking right at me when she did this. She just stood there until I put Lorelai down. She continued to growl at me for the next half hour or so, walking about, looking alert. Later in the evening, I managed to pick Darla up. Her growl intensified, even after I put her back down on the ground. Is she really upset that I picked up her and her friend or did I stress her out?

2. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    do you pick her up often

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    No, this is the first time I've picked any of them up. They've never really given me the opportunity before.

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    It was probably a warning call. She may not fully realize that you aren't going to hurt them yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by