Is she molting or sick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alley, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Hi all,
    Two days ago my 9 month old White leghorn started looking "fluffy". Yesterday she started sitting in her nesting box and wouldn't come out. When I checked on her this morning she was still in her nesting box and was not sitting on an egg. I picked her up and noticed lots of the white down type fathers under her. I brought her in the house and checked her for lice, she was clean. She ate some bread and I then put her out to free range. As I watched her, I noticed she kept picking at herself and remained fluffed up. This afternoon she was back in the nesting box and did not want to come out. Her comb is it's normal bright red color, she isn't sneezing but she isn't acting herself? Is this a molt or is she sick? Please help, I'm worried sick! I love my girls...

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Sounds like she wants to be broody and hatch some eggs [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I was going to say the same thing until I re-read the post and saw that she was a leghorn; not known to go broody at all.
    Have you checked to see if she's maybe egg bound?

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My broodiest girl was a leghorn and I was shocked because they just aren't known for that. Could be broody and mini molting too. Just a guess. Does she fluff up and growl when you come near her when she's in the box?

Edited to add that I didn't even have a roo at the time........she would have hatched pine shavings I guess. Finally gave her to a woman who had a roo. I couldn't break her of it. She wasn't eating.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I have no idea how to check to see if she is egg bound? Please tell me how and I will do it first thing in the morning. I have just two girls not rooster. Can she still go broody? I feed well, black sun flower seeds, layer mash, corn, barley and fresh fruits and veggies.

Thank you!! Ya all are great and I honestly don't know what I'd do if hadn't found BYC!

6. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    What do you mean by growl... she makes noises but she is a very loud and very, very demanding hen!

7. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Like furring up and making a get the heck outta here noise. Like she's protecting her nest. to me it sounds like a growl.

8. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    yes, she does act like that... so is she broody? If she is, do I let her just sit there? Should I put food and water in with her. My other hen didn't roost tonight and is sitting in their nesting box (if fits 2) with her.

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I can't really advise you.......that's why I gave my girl away. I couldn't get her to stay out of the box and she was starving. There wasn't a fertile egg around at the time. Is she sitting on FERTILE eggs?

10. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Sure sounds broody to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by