Is she molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pdcttc, Sep 23, 2011.

1. pdcttc

pdcttc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hi
    I am fairly new to chickens. I got my chickens last Nov. so they are a little over 10 mounths old.
    One of my B.R. has stoped laying, her comb has shrunk, she is missing her tail ,and I see feathers in the coop and run.

The coop and run are not covered with feathers like I have seen some posts describe. The hen seems to be the boss in the coop, so I do not think the others are picking on her. No roster, so its is not the result rough passion.
    She seem to be eating and pooping ok and other than the egg laying everything seem normal.

Could this be a molt-- I have seen posts that say they dont do it till they are abour 18 mounths or so? If it is a molt how long do they usuly last?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I've had pullets go through a mini molt in the 8 to 9 month range, but they were generally light molts. I would be worried about illness.

A good way to check the health of your bird is with the appearance of her droppings. This page may be helpful to you:

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Look the bird over carefully and see if you can see feather quills (the new feathers growing in are wrapped in a papery protective sheath). If you see these quills, it's a good sign your chicken is indeed molting.

4. pdcttc

pdcttc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    I will check for quill tonight when I get home.

I have not seen any adnormal poop around but i have not been looking very close. I will pull up a chair and wait to see.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If she's not molting I would be concerned about worms.

Also check around her vent area for signs of drainage, seen as yellowish or white discharge below the vent.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by