Is she no longer eggbound? How to tell?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScotianChick, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    BB has caused me so much trouble since I got her and yet I can't cull her. Yesterday I brought her inside because I was sure she was eggbound. For two days she acted like she was going to lay an egg but didn't. Once I brought her in and kept her warm she started panting and straining. I gave her a warm bath and applied some olive oil to her vent. Last night while doing some work, I brought her in and put her next to the fire place in a cozy nest I made for her. She could not lay down. She just stood there in a trance like state with her feathers raised like she was straining. I put her back in the dog crate and went to sleep. I woke up around 5:30 to use the bathroom and checked on her while I was awake. She had laid what appeared to be a shell less egg and half of one. Next to the egg there was some yolk, egg white, and blood.

I can't feel another egg but if it's shell-less maybe I can't feel it through pushing gently on her abdomen? She is eating but she is barely pooping. Her vent seems to be puckering a lot but maybe it just seems that way because I got olive oil on her feathers by accident.

2. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    No one knows if she's okay and I can let her back out with the others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by