Is she not fertile?

ludwing

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
SOUTH AFRICA
I started with day old keets about four of them(02 February 2014 ). they drew up with chickens "Lily-the hen" raised the keets with her chicks. if I count correctly they are now two years old. The is one cock and three hens I'm totally sure about that. I've never seen an egg or keets from them since they arrived at our home. is the anything that cause them not to lay or have babies? or climate, variation, food-insects (protein).
helmeted guineafowls came from variet types. from a wild guinea to domestic guinea (pearl grey guinea) most common guineafowl. The guineafowls we have in our yard are the semi wild type guineafowls. so do they take long time to lay than domestic guineas or are they just the same. by the time of breeding a male will show aggression and displaying infront of the hens,making a chip-chip call, catching and dropping a grasshopper in front of them, but they just agnore him.

any solution will free my world

I started with day old keets about four of them(02 February 2014 ). they drew up with chickens "Lily-the hen" raised the keets with her chicks. if I count correctly they are now two years old. The is one cock and three hens I'm totally sure about that. I've never seen an egg or keets from them since they arrived at our home. is the anything that cause them not to lay or have babies? or climate, variation, food-insects (protein).
helmeted guineafowls came from variet types. from a wild guinea to domestic guinea (pearl grey guinea) most common guineafowl. The guineafowls we have in our yard are the semi wild type guineafowls. so do they take long time to lay than domestic guineas or are they just the same. by the time of breeding a male will show aggression and displaying infront of the hens,making a chip-chip call, catching and dropping a grasshopper in front of them, but they just agnore him.

any solution will free my world

This is peafowl. Though we do have some here that raise Gunieafowl hopefully they will help soon.

I find that it is almost impossible to find Guineahen eggs if they don't lay in the coop or whatever and yours are semi-wild so it will be harder my friend.
I raise Guineafowl and let them free-range on my property (33 acres) and in the summer my hens lay their eggs and I never find them.
I get hens with keets and I still don't know where the nests are as once the keets hatch they don't return to the nest.
You will have to follow the hens if you really want to find out because they lay after 9 months :)
It has nothing to do with your Guineafowl being fertile or not ;)

Last edited:
I think it's easy to find the guinea fowl nest free ranging ! When she's on her nest and lays, guinea fowl hen sings in a particular way and .... several times!
We know immediately where she is!

Thank you guy's for your reply s

actually I am totally sure that the hens have never lay since they were born.
the hens tend to settle by themselves.
I've cried to check their vents to look how swollen or big it is to see if they are laying, but the results were that their vents are normal.The male display infront of them catching insects and making a chip-chip call for them to eat but they just agnore him. as I know male guineas display and feed their wife's that lead to a stable bond of life. my hens spend most of their time together making buck-wheat calls. The male spend his time with chickens who has chicks, he real want to be a father, I sometimes play with him by a guinea-keet record sound, he think the are keets and will come racing making a chip-chip krrrrrrrrrr call like they do when they have keets.
I don't know, should I just eat all the hens and live the male.or should I just send them away?

best wishes

I'm with the rest of the group. If you truly have hens, they are laying eggs somewhere. You'll likely stumble upon a huge nest of eggs some day. If they are wild and never get penned, it could be that varmints are eating the eggs. Pen them up for a while and I'm sure you'll have eggs. Laying season is just around the corner.

If they are imbred or all from just 1 original pair that was bought a long time before and the guy just kept having keets then breeding those keets together then it is possible that the females are fine but the male could be infertile. better odds of that then 3 hens being infertile or sterile

If they are imbred or all from just 1 original pair that was bought a long time before and the guy just kept having keets then breeding those keets together then it is possible that the females are fine but the male could be infertile. better odds of that then 3 hens being infertile or sterile
Coming from my experience of having a guinea hen when I was younger, she was the only one that survived an unexpected hatch so she was the only one we had (she came from a friend's house) and even though we only had her, she still laid eggs. I'm going with there's either something genetically wrong that they aren't laying or they ARE in fact laying and they are hiding them well.

maybe the females just have to much of a bond to each other? I dont have guineas i wish i did and dont just take my word for this or anything but with the females always being around each other and following each other around wouldn't it make since to separate a female from them with the male and see how it goes?

Back
Top Bottom