Is she okay? Lots of questions - pics

kayla_sayswa

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Western Wisconsin
Our brahma bantum has been laying an egg every day since we bought her 3 weeks ago (she and two other hens are our first and only chickens). They are on Purina flock layer crumbles and oyster shells.

* Tonight she was in the nest and when we picked her up, there was an egg from another hen under her and a messy goo of crushed egg. Upon closer inspection it was a soft shelled egg. I have read about that and know it's something that happens occassionaly. Not a big deal at this point. Since it was caked on her, she needed it removed so we washed her bottom off.
* I noticed she has very few feathers on her underside.
* I also am wondering about her legs and if she might have mites - there's a row of what seems like scales on the top of her leg - barely visible in the photo below.
* Lastly, she just seems thin, but I'm just not sure what a thin or fat chicken looks or feels like.

But maybe this is all normal?? Maybe she's going broody?? She's our favorite and would appreciate any advice..

Pic is after we washed her bottom side. She is so tame, she just let us lay her on her back like this. She's a sweetheart.

Click thumbnail to view fullsize picture.

do you feel more bone than meat? give her some TLC like you are and she will most likely bounce back. I got some skinny chicks last year and they bounce back fast.

Is that her belly--kind of hard to make out. But if that is her belly area, it looks like she has tried to go broody at some point, and pulled out her feathers underneath. Her feet look fine from what I can make out, but try putting "chicken leg mites" into google images, and see what scaly leg mite look like--looks horrid! I would just keep a close eye on her, kick her off the nest if she tries to sit, and offer her some nutritious treats instead of scratch. Like plain yogurt mixed with crumble, scrambled egg, etc...

Yes, that is her belly...

It just seems like she never has a full crop. But she does eat! I am giving them the same conditioning mix I offer the bunnies which is oatmeal, barley, calf manna, safflower seeds, and showboost. I just toss a little in a pail-cover and they love it. Maybe 2x per week. But I'll work on finding them more treats - including some eggs & egg shells.

Could be that she has worms--seems like an awful lot of chickens that people get from others have worms, mice, lice, etc...kind of scary. You might want to see if you can get a fecal float done at your local vet--I would do a "composite fecal" with a mix of poo from all your new chickens, and treat them all if there are any issues. How do their droppings look?

I guess the poo looks normal to me. But I could certainly worm them, treat for lice & mites, just to be safe. It can't hurt. I can try to take a better picture of her feet tomorrorw.

Oh boy I have lots to learn!!

Well you guys got it right when you said she was going broody. She has been on her nest all night and all day today. I just put some eggs in the incubator so I am going to let her hatch a few out.

I am treating her for mites, just in case.

OH...and I realized I was NOT feeding oyster shells! So I hurried up and bought a bag today.

48806_102_7757.jpg

Back
Top Bottom