Is she okay?/Solved Thank you

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ap4317, Apr 19, 2017.

1. ap4317

ap4317 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    She is a chicken, breed is unknown. I am assuming she's a leghorn? It would be great if you guys were able to help me figure out her specific breed.
    She was born around April 3, 2017.

Circumstances had it so that she is the only baby chick. There are no other chickens or chicks around.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    This only happens as she falls asleep or is getting herself ready to fall asleep but she twitches. And this happens multiple times. It's worrying me as I am wondering if there is something wrong with her or if what she is doing is normal.
    She is the only chick so she usually doesn't sleep unless we are right next to her or have taken her out of her brooder for a lil bit. She will sleep by herself but it usually takes some time.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    It has been a couple days (?). This I am not too sure on.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, other birds around.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Nothing. She seems perfectly fine except for this twitching behavior.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    None that I am aware of.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Drinking = just water
    Eating = only Naturewise Chick starter grower medicated crumbles
    She is eating and drinking normally

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal atm but I will update if it changes

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Depends on what the problem is

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Housing is brooder box
    Bedding is paper towels. I used to use pine shavings but as she is a lone chick, she tends to jump and run around a lot in her brooder in hopes to get our attention. I have noticed that creates dust and causing her to occasionally sneeze. She does not sneeze anymore after changing to paper towels.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    From the video it looks like she is trying to dust bathe. This is very normal and pretty automatic behavior-wise.
    All birds do this, and they start very young. It is how they help clean themselves and keep mites and lice off.
    I give my chicks a plastic plant saucer filled with dry dirt from my yard. They go crazy and make a big mess, but it is normal.
    Let her have it for a while everyday. A little sneezing from dust is not a huge concern, unless it becomes something more.
    The dirt will also slowly expose her to all the microbes in the soil that she will be exposed to when she moves outside.
    I would also suggest that you get a couple more chicks. They are not typically solitary beings and are much happier in a flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by