Is she old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThePRfan, Nov 26, 2014.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I have 2 questions.A while back I got a couple of hens.Well some were pullets some weren't.Curly sew is who I am curious about.Never got 1 egg from her,she acts bossy,she is slow,and very calm.Has trouble breathing I believe so too.A very cripple cackle.Her face is a bit weird,but not in a ugly way.(Unfourtently the pictures icon isn't there so I can't post pics.)

Today I noticed Curly sew had rope/string tied/rapped around her legs.She'd almost tripped as I tried catching her.I got her on her back and begin surgery.I was a bit rough,but after the surgery of taking it off,I pressed on her foot for pain and then walked around with her.I released her,but she just sat down.I'm thinking I may have hurt her.Because afterwards she got up ran,and then just stood around.Did I hurt her bya ccident?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Maybe, but if you did hurt her you did it with her best intentions at heart. She couldn't have been left with her legs all caught up - that could lead to serious blood constriction issues later down the track. It could just be that if she is indeed old, she may have some arthritis or inflammation in her joints, and maybe when you pressed on her foot it could have caused her some temporary discomfort.

Either way, I would keep a close eye on her. Make sure she IS actually still able to walk around freely, but more importantly I think you need to keep an eye on her breathing. You mentioned that she "has trouble breathing and has a crippled cackle?" My concern there would be wether or not she might have a respiratory illness.

I know that older birds can exhibit some unusual signs (slow walking, calm demeanor etc) but I don't know that respiratory distress is one of them. She may need to be isolated and treated with an antibiotic for that.

I have an old girl here too at the moment. She is new to the flock and came to me with two others who are both laying. She, on the other hand, does not pay rent, lol. It's ok though, she is such a delight to have around. I call her Old Momma and she is beautiful. As far as I'm concerned, she was still worth every cent I paid for her, and it is a blessing for me to be able to allow her live out her final days here in peace and comfort.

- Krista

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I have been watching her for a while.She seems to be doing fine.

Normally her mouth is open as I pick her up.She was doing this last winter.I am not too positive about this "breathing"issue,but I do know she has never ever laid for us.She never really cackles,but it is more crippled when she even bawks a bit.I can catch her easly.She often isn't focus,but she is a bit protective.

I know nothinga bout her chick/pullet life or anything about her flock we got.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by