Is she or isn't she?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyhen, Jul 31, 2010.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Ugh!!!!!! Broodies astonish and drivie me crazy. My Splash orp decided to set again when her chicks are 9 weeks old. Fine I could deal with that , I even have a promise of eggs. Now I see her out in the run 5 or 6 times a day. She is off the nest but definitely broody acting. Ill, My goodness no other chicken stands a chance around that girl. She is so ill they can not walk within 2 ft. of her without her attacking . I have just a small bit to go before I can totally isolate her. Maybe that will help. what do you think? Gloria Jean

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would isolate her and give her some golf balls or fake eggs and ensure that she is committed to being broody and not just half-hearted before giving her some fertile eggs.

She sounds one mean broody! My Brahma hens just squawk a bit in the first day or two when they are setting and after that they pretty well let folk do what they like with them.

Good Luck,

Sandie

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sandie,
    Normally this hen was a sweet heart when she was broody before. I could pick her up and do anything with her. Maybe she is like a human Mom that is having an (oh no not again) when she has too many children.LOL She is Suedes daughter and is a little over a year old.
    I will isolate her this week with the golf balls and see how things go. Thanks Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by