is she or isnt she

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by naightengale, Aug 13, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so i have several hens who are very good layers, and they all lay together in one spot. they have all been acting very snippy about us collecting the eggs, so we desided if they wanted them that bad we'd leave them... but so far it dont apper that any one of them has actually "clamed" them and thou they will go sit there for 1-3 hours each while they lay another egg on the growing pile. (7 in there now) they still will leave the nest for a long time and no one is sitting it at night. will one of them start sitting them when she thinks she has enough?? or should they be sitting there more?? they will usually let us pet them even when they are sitting to lay, but for a few days they refuse to move and attack us if we reach for the already there eggs(only while sitting to lay). yet so far they seemingly lay the egg and then abandon them till time to lay another....are they really broody or just being untypicly mean for some reason??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] They may or may not set on the eggs. Many birds (especially hatchery bred) have been selected for egg production and rarely go broody. Other breeds are far more likely to go broody. What breeds do you have?

3. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    the ones that are in question here are 3 sexlinks 1 unknown fat black bantum and 1 unknown tiny skinny bantum lol they all lay in the same spot and while they are there are very agressive. 1 of the sexlink and the tiny hen are the worst. the tiny one actually pecked me.(and not a "loving" peck either.
    there are many other hens in there but most are too young to lay.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Although they sometimes go broody, it is very unlikely that your sex links will set. With the bantams there is a far greater possibility for broodiness.

5. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so one of my silkies has pulled out a bunch of feathers into the nest. i know it was her shes the only one with little fluffy white feathers lol
    does this mean shes preparing it to brood??

6. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so just when i thought it was a no go on a broody hen and whipped up a incubator and took all the eggs ...... my black silkie goes broody lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by