is she over doing it already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbottom, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    well clairese just started laying 3 days ago and each day she gives me an egg. now i dont wanna sound like im not greatful shes giving one a day but is it normal for chickens to start laying everyday as soon as they first start?

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] If she is I wanna know how you're going to get her to slow down! [​IMG]

Sorry, just had to say it! Don't mean to pick on you! It's not abnormal... she'll take a day off when she feels like it.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    im not sure why that would be a bad thing [​IMG] i wish my OEGb would start laying (this will also be they're first time) AND I HOPE they lay everyday-lay everday.. Set. biddies (Chicks).. more chickens [​IMG]

They should be laying pretty soon actually. my SDW is starting to squat.. checked her pelvic bones.. shes been playing around in the nest. combs also red. Blue hen though just seems to wanna take her time though [​IMG] (although her pelvic bones are pretty far along as well. Cant tell on the comb as shes "gypsy" (dark, mulberry, etc) Faced )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Yes, it's perfectly normal. Try not to worry so much! Relax.

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    lol im trying to get calm i just dont want her to over work herself im glad she is laying everyday just was a little curious

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Relax! She's fine. She'll only lay the eggs that are ready to come out. She won't "over-do it."

Stop looking for things to be wrong![​IMG]

7. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Don't worry, she'll be fine. It's amazing all the things we didn't realize we'd worry about and learn about when we started this chicken adventure, isn't it!

My white leghorn started laying at 16w3d. She laid an egg every day for 17 days in a row, and then mysteriously quit. After a couple weeks of no eggs, I realized she had an impacted crop from weeds my kids had been giving them. We ended up having to do surgery on her, and on her 3rd day after surgery she started laying eggs every day in her recovery crate. She's been an amazing producer ever since!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by