Is she PURRING or SICK??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cherylcohen, Dec 15, 2009.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    My 5 1/2 month old Cuckoo Maran has had a big pecking problem on her back side and tail, so I've been paying her extra attention by putting neoporin on it and Pick-no-more to keep the bad birds from pecking her.

She's such a sweet sweet bird. Always wanting to be held and petted. Well yesterday when I was petting her I noticed she was purring like a cat in short spurts when I was stroking her. I would stop and then I heard what i thought was a bit of wheezing. This morning when I went out she did the same thing, but no wheezing, just purring when i pet her and then even a bit more after I had stopped.

We've had Meraks on our farm so I'm concerned she has lesions growing on her lungs from meraks or a respiratory disease (we've never had that before) Tell me I'm just a paranoid chicken mother. I love them so much I hate it when they have gotten sick and died [​IMG]

Aside from that, she's perky healthy, bright red comb-in the last week, no eggs yet tho.

I'd love your thoughts, thanks so much

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Our girls will purr when they are comfortable; it sounds like gargling. If she's not doing it all the time and is only doing it in short spurts, then she's probably just happy.
    Keep an eye on her, just in case.

Merry Christmas!

3. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    sorry about the 2nd post, I don't know what happened [​IMG]

4. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I think I'll have my DH hold her, he's not nearly as much a caregiver as I am, so if she purrs then I'll know if it's respiratory.

Does anyone know what else to look for?

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Mine Purr when they are held & Petted.......

6. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Is it a constant purr or spurts, I'm trying to determine if she has a respiratory thing going on or if she's happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by