Is she ready to lay an egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LovinMyChickies, Aug 11, 2008.

1. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    I awoke this morning to one of my girls making this crazy cackle, I've never heard before.

The Roos were squawking and one of the hens was making this "bawk, bawk, bawk, BIGgawk, bawk bawk, noise. I ran outside because I thought someone was being attacked. When I got there, they were all in the coop, looking at the nests.

I could tell that someone had been sitting in the nest, on the decoy eggs. But I did'nt see which hen it was. By the time I got in there, she had jumped down. (By the way, no "real' egg produced)

Last week I added decoy eggs to the nests, and they have been very interested in the boxes. They are now 17 weeks old. Some of their combs are getting redder. Is one of my girls ready to lay?? Can they lay this young?

2. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    In general hens start laying when they are 6 to 7 months old. And I do think that a hen was trying to lay. When mine lay eggs there is a big ruckus in the chicken house, its like they feel the need to announce the laying of an egg to the world.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Some hens start laying at 16 weeks, so yours are getting there. The norm is 18 to 20 weeks.

4. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by