Is she ready yet???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amyt21, Mar 17, 2016.

1. amyt21

amyt21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    The burg. Florida
    OK question. I bought a chicken (female) that someone could no longer have I don't know breed or age but she hasn't layed since I've had her.. Now her wattles are doubled in size and she has been chatty so I got a couple of eggs from my cousins hens and put them in a box. She didn't bother them for days then I noticed at night she will sit on them. Well today I let her out and she ran straight to the box and sat on the eggs.. She normally runs the yard with the rest of the flock. So is she finally getting ready or broody or what??[​IMG]

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    lift her off the nest, she'll tell you if she's broody, she'll squawk and be all fluffed up, might even try pecking you, could be she's 'nesting' and getting ready to start laying.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    My pullets often visit nests for quite a few days before beginning to lay and JetCats advice will tell you whether she is indeed broody. If she does show signs of broodiness, I'd suggest removing the eggs and waiting until she shows sign of commitment to being broody (staying on the nest night and day for 2-3 days) before setting eggs under her.

I wonder if anyone has had a hen go broody before commencing laying? - not something i have read about, but who knows?

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. amyt21

Feb 28, 2016
    The burg. Florida
    Never mind looooooooook it's the little one in the back[​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Cool, you got your answer and congrats! Cant beat getting the first egg from one your girls [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Congratulations!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. luvmynewchics

luvmynewchics New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Jackson,GA
    So question for y'all. I have 6 hens and a rooster in my barn at night and they run free during the day. My hens are laying eggs LIKE CRAZY but none of them are sitting. Why is that? I have one hen that has laid 18 in and for some reason she is not sitting on them. Is there something we can do to help them or is something wrong with them?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hens will only go broody(sit on eggs until they hatch) when their hormones dictate it....some hens will never go broody.
    Gather eggs from nests everyday, if you want to try to bait a broody by using a clutch of eggs, get fake ones.

9. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    as aart pointed out, some girls won't ever go broody, and some you can't stop from it. what breed are yours?

10. amyt21

Feb 28, 2016
    The burg. Florida
    She layed on St Patricks day!! And my other Lil bantam Cochin also layed her first egg today!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by