Is she ready?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    I have a Black Cochin Hen, she is about 4 months old. Maybe a week or two off. Around her face gets really dark red sometimes, and then it goes back to light. It seems to change every few minutes (Can someone answer why that happens?). The Rooster has already fertilized her, but I'm sure this doesn't mean it's getting closer.

And it's all about the same for a Americauna chicken I have. But she is about 3 months old (which may be a little early). She tends to hang out with the Rooster A LOT, but I'm sure this doesn't mean anything. I'm just trying to be very informative. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your birds have a ways to go yet. Probably another month (at least) on the cochin. EEs take a bit longer to mature so she's still months away from laying. The red coloring to the faces mean they are getting there, but they're still too young.

3. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    Oh. Well thats a let down. So even if it's REALLY Dark red, it doesn't count?

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Unfortunately, if she is close to laying, that is a huge problem this early. I had a pullet that laid at 4 months and she had nothing but trouble! She died at a young age due to being egg bound. Just like with mammals it is not good for chickens when the reproductive system does not develop fully or correctly. You really want her to wait. Hopefully she is just imitating your other birds and she will continue "practicing" for a few more weeks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by