Is she really Ameraucana?? Pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Deltabwa, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Deltabwa

Deltabwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Just shy of 8 weeks ago I bought 2 blue Ameraucana's from MPC (plus 16 more lol), they claim to have the real thing. Both turned out to be black but I am wondering about 1. She has white throughout. I just want to make sure it is really one since I padi so much for her. Here are a bunch of pics of her. Probably more than you need but want to be sure you see all of her :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the other one, no white on her at all
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Looks like lazy breeding. I don't think I would trust hatchery Ameraucanas to be a whole lot purer than regular EEs. Most hatchery birds are just multigenerational mixed breeds which bear a decent resemblance to their supposed breed, I don't see any reason Ameraucanas would be any different.

3. LifesABeach

LifesABeach Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    Maybe check this article from Backyard Chickens...Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*. Your girl has a slim feathered head versus my bantam Ameraucana at the same age. Mine had an oddly disproportionate head, fat (hence her name now by my kids "Fathead"). It may just be your photos but, check out other photos. She is pretty and I'm sure will give you lots of eggs. Good luck. P.S. I love this breed after having just one! Hoping for more in the Spring.

4. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Should I post there then? I saw that before but really was only looking at the differences and I wondered if, for myself, she was too young to know for sure. I must have forgotten about that thread. I checked out all comparisons on different sites I could find, but again, couldn't determine.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like she's a Mottled Ameraucana. MPC has Blue/Black/Splash, but it's possible that a few of the birds carry the recessive gene for mottling.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
  8. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    oh that would actually be awesome! Never heard of them but looked it up and they are cute!!! And would go well with the SLW and blue and splash Andalusians we ordered and the delawares they sent us as a surprise Thanks :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think she's "true", in that her parents were both blue or black Ameraucana. I'm not sure if there's a recessive mottling thing going on, or if she's just got an excess of white feathers she'll molt out of. I think that bird could easily show up in any breeder's pen. Doesn't mean the bird isn't pure, it's simply why breeders cull to a standard. Like breeding any animal, you breed enough and your'e going to get funky offspring that don't meet expectations. Culling those animals from the breeding stock is the difference between true breeders and propagators.

As far as being a nice backyard bird, who should lay blue eggs, she's great. She's got the other Ameraucana characteristics. If you were set on breeding toward the SOP, she's not going to be your best bet. But if you wind up with a rooster and want to hatch out some unique backyard birds, she'll be a great contributor toward the next generation of colored egg layers.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by